Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Vanilla-Caramel Ice Cream

I made this for a birthday. It was the first time I used eggs to make homemade ice cream and I was scared I would mess it up. It was easy and turned out so creamy.
First I cooked the custard on the stove.

I baked sweetened condensed milk for the caramel. I heard you can boil the cans, but I have also heard horror stories of exploding cans. Since I tend to get easily distracted, I thought I would go the safer route. The recipe comes from the Blue Eyed Bakers blog and they call it Dulce de Leche Ice Cream. That's a little too fancy for me! Ha! This vanilla ice cream would be a great base for all kinds of mix-ins.

Vanilla-Caramel Ice Cream from: Blue-Eyed Bakers
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk

3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Pour the condensed milk into a glass pan (I actually used a medal pie pan and it was fine) and cover tightly with foil. Place the pan in a larger pan and fill half way up the smaller pan with boiling water. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, checking water occasionally to make sure there is plenty in there. Allow to cool and whisk until smooth. Store in the fridge until ready to use. This can be softened in the microwave if necessary.

For the custard-In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks through the vanilla together. Pour the milk and cream into a small sauce pan and heat over low until hot but not boiling. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan so it doesn't stick. Slowly stir the hot mixture into the eggs and whisk until smooth. Put the custard back into the pan and cook over medium heat until thick and it bubbles around the edges. This will coat the back of the spoon and you will see that it has thickened some. Strain through a fine mesh sieve/strainer. Cover and chill the mixture overnight. Put into your ice cream maker. Mine is a Cuisinart and it takes about 30 minutes to process. Stop the machine and mix in dollops of the caramel mixture. Freeze for a few hours. If you are like us though, it will not get that much time before it is eaten.

Linking up to: Sweets for a Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment