Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Whipped Vanilla Frosting

I made this for my oldest son's birthday this year. It tasted like a soft Oreo. I imagine that is what an Oreo Cakester tastes like, but I have never eaten one of those. I actually made this cake twice because I forgot to add the baking soda. Don't do that unless you want your cakes to resemble hockey pucks. My husband was nice enough to go to the store to get me more chocolate. Luckily he saved me from a bit of a meltdown. My son turned 21 at Midnight on Saturday and I told him it would be okay if he wanted to come another day to have his birthday dinner. He was sweet and still wanted to come over! I love that boy! I would have totally understood.

This cake was very moist and came from the Daisy Brand website. I have to admit that their sour cream is one of my favorites. I don't eat sour cream much anymore but when I bake with it, I tend to use this brand. The vanilla icing is from the Sweetopia Blog. I cut down the recipe and used 2/3 since I didn't ice the sides. I love icing so I wasn't sure how I would like this cakes without the sides iced. It was great. The cake is so moist.

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake From: Daisy Brand Website
3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil (I use canola)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 cup of brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar)
1/2 cup of sugar
2  1 ounce squares of semi sweet chocolate, melted (I use Baker's and for this recipe I used one semi sweet square and one unsweetened)
2 cups of flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1 cup of warm water
1 tablespoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of sour cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 eight inch round cake pans. Beat the first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl until well mixed. Add the melted chocolate and mix. Add half the flour, the cocoa, half the water, the baking soda and salt. Once that is mixed together well, add the remaining flour and water and beat another 2 minutes. Add the sour cream and pour into the cake pans. Bake 30-35 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean). My oven took the full 35 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then on wire racks.

Whipped Vanilla Frosting From: Sweetapolita
1 cup of butter, softened and cubed
2 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla

Beat the butter for 8 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat another 6 minutes with your mixer. Frost and assemble your cake. The ingredients for the frosting are the same I have always used for vanilla frosting, but beating the butter and then the ingredients together for what I consider a long time really does fluff up this frosting. It's worth the extra effort!





No comments:

Post a Comment