Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sloppy Joes

I have made these Sloppy Joes several times and it sure beats the canned stuff I had when I was a kid. My husband wouldn't even touch the stuff until I made this homemade version. The canned version seems overly sweet to me now.



Sloppy Joes from: The New Better Homes and Garden Cookbook

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of water
3 teaspoons chili powder ( the recipe calls for 1 tsp)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce (use less if you don't like it with a little kick)
salt and pepper to your liking

Cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic in a skillet until the meat is browned. Drain the fat.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. I have cooked this up and put it in the crock pot to stay hot for a party before. This serves 3-4 people but can easily be doubled or tripled.



No comments:

Post a Comment