Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Mother's Banana Bread





I found this recipe in my hometown's newspaper, the first year I was married. I was just really learning about cooking for a family and was just starting to become interested in baking as much as I could. So this is not actually my Mom's banana bread, but it is really good and everyone here gets mad if I try to use a new banana bread recipe. It's very moist and freezes well. I always make it without nuts, but I prefer nuts in it for myself. The guys don't. Picky, Picky!


My Mother's Banana Bread


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (the darker the better)
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)


Directions: Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, beating well for 1 minute after each addition. Stir in the mashed bananas. Mix the dry ingredients separately and alternate adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with the sour milk, starting and ending with the flour. I do flour, milk, flour, milk, flour. Stir in the nuts. Pour into a greased 8 or 9 inch loaf pan and bake 60-75 minutes at 350 degrees. I check this around 45 minutes and then just lay a piece of foil on top of the bread ( no need to secure) to keep the top from getting too brown. I check to see if this is done by sticking a butter knife right in the middle. A few crumbs mights stick but there should not be any real wetness in the middle. Allow to cool and than slice.


ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment