Friday, August 5, 2011

Strawberry Shortcakes


I love strawberry shortcake. I like to make it with sweetened biscuits and heavy whipping cream.
I just use my regular biscuit recipe, but add a couple of extra tablespoons of sugar to it. I think I made this for Mother's day. I don't ask or expect that my husband and boys make me a special dinner for Mother's Day or my birthday. I like to do it myself.

Strawberry Shortcakes

2 cups of fresh, sliced strawberries
1/4 cup sugar

Biscuits:
2 cups of flour
4 tablespoons of sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of cold butter, cubed
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of sour cream

Clean and slice you strawberries. Mix the strawberries with the sugar in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble the shortcakes. 
For the biscuits: Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Add the cubed butter and mix with your hands until a course meal is formed. Stir in the buttermilk just until moistened. Knead the dough 8-10 times on a floured surface. Pat out into a rectangle and cut into 6 biscuits. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes (or until golden brown). Cool.
Whip the whipping cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form. Slowly mix in the sour cream. 
Assembly: slice the biscuits and layer the berries and cream in the middle and on top. 

ENJOY






No comments:

Post a Comment