Sunday, August 7, 2011

Blueberry Muffins





I love these muffins and I have been making them for years. My youngest requests them often and I try to make them when he has friends overnight. Unfortunately, the last time I made them for just that reason, I forgot to put the blueberries in. Talk about a dumb blond moment! They were still good with the help of the streusel topping and because my husband cut a divot out of the tops of some and added some blackberry jam. I often use wild frozen blueberries for this (when I remember them!) but frozen raspberries are also good.  This recipe comes from the Betty Crocker's Cookbook, copyright 2000. I have had this book a least 10 years. My sister G got it for her birthday from our Mom. I told her she could tell our Mom that I would love that for my birthday present. Well, a few months later it was mine. This is one of those cookbooks I would buy for a person moving out on there own. There are tons of great recipes and they are not difficult.

Blueberry Muffins
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
1 large egg
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries

Streusel: 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of butter.
(mix the dry ingredients with the butter to make a course meal)

Preheat the oven for 400 degrees and grease 12 muffin cups with shortening. Mix the milk, oil and egg with a whisk in a large bowl. Mix the dry ingredients separately and then add to the wet ingredients stirring just until moistened. Add the blueberries. Pour batter into the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake 20-25 minutes.

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment