Sunday, September 4, 2011

Caramel Apple Pie


I made this pie about 6 years ago for the first time. I made it for a school pioneer day at my sons' grade school. I think instead of a cake walk, there was a pie walk. I gave 2 of these pies and when I won a turn at the pie walk, I picked our pie out so we could try it. My husband and oldest liked it immediately. My youngest just started liking apple pie in the last year or 2. I said something about this recipe and he was ready for me to make it for him. I think this recipe came from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook, but I didn't always write my sources down with my recipes. I will try to find the source. It is as tasty as it sounds.

Caramel Apple Pie

1 pastry for a single pie crust
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 cups of thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples ( I prefer Granny Smith)

Topping: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, 1/2 cup butter (Mix altogether until it resembles coarse crumbs)

Add after baking: 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping

Directions: Roll out the pie crust and place in a pie pan. Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add the apples and toss to coat. Pour into the crust. Sprinkle with the Topping.  Put a pie crust ring or foil around the exposed crust. Bake at 375 degrees for for 25 minutes. Remove the ring and bake 25 to 30 minutes more. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the pecans and drizzle with the caramel topping. Allow to cool some.

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment