Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Barley Stew

Barley Stew



You may think I live on only sugar, but I also like to cook regular food almost as much as I like to bake. The Fall weather is the perfect time to start making all of the soups and stews it was too hot to make this summer.This is really called Beef Barley Stew, but we rarely eat meat so this is how I prepare it. I will give you the recipe with the beef and you can add it if you want. I prefer it with the beef myself. Of course it comes together much more quickly if you leave the beef out. The allspice may seem to be an odd addition, but it really adds something unique to this stew. I was very afraid the first time I tried it and even my boys liked it. We have been eating this for years.  I can't remember where I got this recipe from. I tried looking on -line but I haven't found it yet.

Beef Barley Stew:

2 tablespoons of oil
1 pound of well trimmed, boneless beef chuck, cut into chunks
2 medium onions, diced
3 medium carrots, grated or diced
3 ribs of celery, diced
2 1/2 cups beef broth ( I use vegetable broth)
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces-undrained)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup quick pearl barley

If using beef- heat oil in a large pan and brown the beef on 2 sides. Remove the meat from the pan. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the rest of the ingredients except the barley and the meat. Bring to a boil and add meat. Reduce the heat and cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the barley and cover and cook at least 15 more minutes. Add more water if the soup is too thick. If you make this without the meat, just start by sauteing the vegetables in the oil.

This makes great leftovers.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment