Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pie Crust Cinnamon Rolls

These are very rich and definitely not recommended by the American Heart Association! My husband said his family used to make something like these when he was growing up. He asked me to make these for him years ago and now these are a regular treat around here.




Pie Crust Cinnamon Rolls


2 cups of flour
1/2 tablespoon of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of shortening
1 small egg, beaten
1/2 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup of water

1/2 cup brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Icing:
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
1 1/ 2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons of milk

Sift or whisk the flour, sugar and salt together. Cut in the shortening until course crumbs form. Mix the beaten egg, vinegar and water together and then add to the flour mixture. Mix until the dough forms into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle. Spread the brown sugar and the cinnamon. Roll up jellyroll style. Cut about an inch thick. Place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool. Mix the icing ingredients together and ice the rolls.

Notes: I always buy large eggs. For this recipe, I just get rid of about a tablespoon of the beaten egg.
I prefer dark brown sugar, but light brown works fine. Some people like more or less cinnamon. I like a lot so use to your liking. Also, why I usually prefer butter over shortening, I have tried to substitute, but I didn't like it. The texture just wasn't as good.

Linking up to: Sweets for a Saturday

5 comments:

  1. These look really good. I love the fact that you don't have to bother with yeast and all the business. Can't wait to try these, thanks for sharing
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so yummy! And you could make these with scraps of leftover pie crust, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, these are definitely quicker than regular cinnamon rolls. When I make a pie where just a bottom crust is needed, we do make these with the extra. I would hate to waste that goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! One of my favorite breakfast items. :) I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog and would love for you to stop by if you have time. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Elsa! I have signed up for your giveaway.

    ReplyDelete